Affiliate Marketing Survival
The Art and Business of Affiliate Marketing
What is Affiliate Marketing?
Affiliate marketing is a type of marketing where an individual promotes another person’s product or service and makes a commission from each sale. The affiliate marketer has no responsibilities for the product quality, delivery or maintenance of product – other than the moral responsibility to their customers of promoting products of high value to them.
Why participate in Affiliate Marketing?
Affiliate marketing allows you the opportunity to work part-time or full time while building a generous residual income.
“Residual income (also called passive or recurring income) is income that continues to be generated after the initial effort is expended.” -Marty Foley
Affiliate marketing is one of the easiest methods I know of to make money with little or no startup costs and very little technology knowledge needed.
There are also effective low-to-no budget marketing methods available -- the product owner is doing the major marketing to gain product or service exposure.
Affiliate marketing is something you can start immediately while you’re learning to create your own products and websites.
Affiliate marketing is a revenue-generating activity that you can do while you build your main Internet profit stream
Affiliate Promotion Process
Below you will see another flow chart I have put together for you that helps you to see the basic Affiliate Marketing flow process that you will be involved in during your Affiliate Marketing.
Common Ways to Promote Affiliate Products
At this point I am just going to list some great ways that I feel you could concentrate on to promote your affiliate products when you are just beginning your Affiliate Marketing venture. In the following pages we will go into more details on the ones that I feel would be best for a beginner to get started with.
List Promotions-By developing a relationship with your list, you can promote items that you feel would be valuable to them.
Blogging- Blogging is another incredible way to promote affiliate products. Paid blogs, where you purchase and host your own domain, are the most effective. However, there are free alternatives that can also be effective.
Some sites where you can set up a free blog:
- Blogger Blog – http://www.blogger.com
- WordPress – http://www.wordpress.com
- Weebly – http://www.weebly.com
- Social Media Marketing
- HubPages – http://www.hubpages.com
- Squidoo – http://www.squidoo.com
- Ezine Articles - http://www.ezinearticles.com
- Go Articles - http://www.goarticles.com/
- Article Dashboard – http://articledashboard.com
- Easy Articles – http://www.easyarticles.com
Video Marketing (product reviews/benefits)
- YouTube – http://www.youtube.com
- Real People – http://www.realpeoplerealstuff.com
- Revver – http://www.revver.com
- MySpace Video - http://vids.myspace.com/
You need to perform a search for the niche forum that fits your marketing needs.
- CraigsList – http://www.craigslist.com
- USFreeAds – http://www.usfreeads.com
- Backpage – http://www.backpage.com
- Kijiji – http://www.kijiji.com
- Oodle – http://www.oodle.com
Social Networking Sites
- Facebook – http://www.facebook.com
- Twitter – http://www.twitter.com
- Yahoo Groups – http://groups.yahoo.com
- MySpace – http://www.myspace.com
- Ning – http://www.ning.com
Pay Per Click Advertising
- Google Adwords – http://adwords.google.com
- Yahoo Search – http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com
- Microsoft – http://advertising.microsoft.com
Sale, Lead or Click
Affiliate networks are designed to compensate their affiliates based on 3 different types of actions: pay per click (PPC), pay per lead (PPL), and pay per sale (PPS).
Pay Per Click
Pay Per Click means when a visitor to a webpage clicks on an affiliate link, the affiliate earns a certain amount.
All the visitor has to do is click through and view the advertisement – it doesn't require any other type of action for the affiliate to get paid.
PPC is usually the lowest paying type of action, but the easiest to complete.
Pay Per Lead
A visitor clicks on an affiliate link and fills out a form requesting more information, joining a newsletter or online group.
PPL usually doesn't require a cash transaction or credit card information.
Pay Per Sale
Pay Per Sale is usually the highest paying type of action. It also is the hardest (generally) to complete.
In PPS, the visitor must complete a purchase or enter their credit card to participate in a product or trial offer.
The affiliate gets a percentage (commission) of the sale.
Two-Tier" Affiliate Programs
Affiliate programs are two-tier programs that distribute commissions based on a referral network of sign-ups and sub-affiliates.
Example: Affiliate A signs up to an affiliate program and gets rewarded for a sale or lead by a visitor.
If Affiliate A attracts Affiliate B to sign up for the same program using his sign-up code (or affiliate code), Affiliate B becomes a sub-affiliate of Affiliate A.
All future activities performed by Affiliate B will then result in additional commissions for Affiliate A.
Finding Products to Promote
When you are looking for products to promote there are some basic factors you should be taking into consideration when you are looking for products.
Also take into consideration some of the following recommendations when you recommend a product to your list or as an Affiliate for any product.
- Be picky about what you promote, and take the time to be sure that everything you recommend is of legitimate value.
- Be HONEST when making your recommendations! Nothing will turn people away more quickly than a blatant attempt to fill them full of hype and hot air just so you can make a few quick bucks.
- Take time to go through the product ahead of time to know exactly what you are promoting and that it is actually worth the value you are trying to sell someone on. (Especially if it is a Marketer you do not know very well, and you are not familiar with the quality of product they deliver.)
- You shouldn’t be selling what you do not believe in and, the fact is that personal testimonials will do a lot to boost your sales.
Determining Factors of Affiliate Products
Some of the common questions asked by affiliate marketers are these. “What product should I sell as an affiliate? What affiliate products are hot selling?
Plain and simple: Research is the only solution here.
- The Wants- Wants are the determining dimensions among many choices.
- The Need-Needs are the basic reasons a person is looking for the product or service.
- The Value Driver- Value Drivers are the values or intangibles associated with a product or service. They are actually part of “wants” but your value drivers will become extremely important when products or services are not differentiated from other similar products being offered.
The following are three excellent places to find products that you can become an affiliate for:
Other places to consider reviewing:
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Product to Promote
There are many factors to consider when selecting an affiliate program to promote. Here are just some of the features that you should be looking for when deciding on what affiliate products to promote.
- Relevance: Promote programs that complement the theme of your site or your Niche.
- Visitors are already interested in the subject of our site, gives you the advantage of an easier sales conversion.
- Quality & Stability: There is a huge quantity of Affiliate Products, do not SETTLE for a program that is sloppy just to have a product to promote..
- Look for good reputable companies that are stable.
- Ask to speak to existing affiliates
- Make sure that full contact details are provided.
- Commissions: As far as commission percentages go, look for products that you will earn a minimum commission of $20.
- In order to achieve maximum profits, I recommend that you aim for commissions at the 50% -100% level.
- High end product will usually be lower commissions 25%-50%
- Lifetime Commissions. (your customer you sent is cookied to you for life)
- Residual Commission
- When are commissions paid
- Affiliate Support: The best companies to work with provide plenty of support
- Promotional material available: sample ads, banners, logos
- Advice about maximizing sales provided.
- Statistics on click through sales and earnings should be provided and updated regularly.
- Able to get your questions answered in a reasonable period of time – say, within 24 hours. Be reasonable. If a product owner is in a middle of a major launch his support will generally be heavier and they may be a little behind.
Sales Page or the Pitch Page
- View pitch page to help you learn more about the product and get ideas on how to promote it, such as what keywords people might search to find it, benefits you can highlight in your promotions, and more.
- Look for products with good sales page to market as an affiliate
- Is there a good strong and Catchy headline
- Is sales page text or video sales page
- Is sales page clean and easy to navigate
- Good valid, solid, legitimate testimonials from real people!
- Is there a good strong clear call to action
- Does sales page have leaks that will rob your commissions
Warning - look for sales page "leaks“
As an affiliate you want the visitor to read through the sales page and hit that order button with you getting credit for the sale. There are a number of reasons why this does not happen. We call these leaks in the sales page.
- Link to an affiliate sign up page. Your potential customer could simply become an affiliate and purchase (steal your commission) the product himself.
- Product Owner offers multiple payment options so for example if you are using a ClickBank ID and ClickBank is not chosen you may not get the commission.
- The product you are promoting is just one of many unrelated products on a page - a put-off for the potential customer.
- There are many external links which distract the visitor from reaching the order page.
- The product owner captures your commission. There are offers to join a mailing list or claim a free report: Most of the time you will get credited for any sale ensuing from these leads but on occasion you may run across a unscrupulous product owner that may follow up and make the sale via his own link.
One of the critical things to do as an affiliate marketer is to protect your income potential.
By masking or cloaking your link you can protect your Affiliate ID and your affiliate commissions.
Here are a few places you can check into to help you mask your affiliate link and help you protect your affiliate commissions.
- ly – http://www.bit.ly/ (My personal favorite)
- gs - http://www.cli.gs/
- me - http://www.uforgot.me/
- BudURL - http://budurl.com/
- tiny URL com
So Many Affiliate Programs! Which One Do I Choose?
When you start out looking for the ultimate affiliate program to join you will find that you will be faced with hundreds of possibilities everywhere you look. Choosing the write Affiliate program can be a big part of the success you achieve as an Affiliate Marketer.
Here are some things you should be looking at to help you make the right decision.
- Will it cost you anything to join? Out of the hundreds and thousands of Affiliate programs available to you to choose from my recommendation is to steer clear of those asking you to pay. There are plenty of free programs for you to choose from that will give you good results.
- When do they issue the commission checks? Knowing when you will receive your commissions is always a good thing to find out. Some will pay you right away after a sale and others will wait 30 days or after refund periods are over to pay your commissions. Knowing this information will help you plan your own financial budgets.
- What are the conversion rates? Knowing the conversion rates for the products that you are promoting will help you to see if your results from the efforts are in line with others that have promoted. It will help you decide if the product is worth promoting in the first place.
- If you are getting lower conversion rates compared to other marketers it may mean you need to step up the promotional efforts on your end. Use the conversions as a guide line to follow for your own efforts.
If you are getting considerable lower than most other affiliates you may want to ask the product owner what has worked for others in promoting their products.
- Does this program have plenty of tools and resources? Finding Affiliate programs that provide proper tools for promoting the product will be a big help to you in your promoting efforts.
- Many times you may notice there are no tools available for you to use during your promotion. Do not be afraid to ask the product owner if they can provide these tools to help. Many times they just have been busy and forgot to get them loaded up to the tools pages. Many other times they just never thought of it but would be glad to at least provide you with some good swipe copy or banner ads to help you better promote their product.
- How are referrals from an affiliate’s site tracked and for how long do they remain in the system?
- What are the kinds of affiliate stats available? Many Affiliate programs will provide you with reports that you can track clicks on your links, sales you made and your conversion rate, etc. These are important to know so you can keep track of your promotional efforts and have a better understanding as to what is going on and make any changes needed to get better results.
- Does the affiliate program pay for the hits and impressions, besides the commissions on sales?
- Who are you doing business with? (Is it really a solid company?) By all means you should investigate any business you are about to become involved with as an Affiliate marketer. It is important to know who you are working with and what kind of reputation they have. Take the time to do your research ahead of time before you end up burnt by someone with a less than honorable reputation.
- Is the affiliate a one-tier or two-tier program? The difference between the one and two tier program is that the two tiers, you will get compensated for any commissions generated by other Affiliates that you refer to the Affiliate program.
- Is this a program that you like and have interest in? If it does not excite and interest you how will you be at successfully promoting the product? You need your target audience to feel your enthusiasm and interest over the product you promote in order for them to feel it is something of great importance to them as well.
- Is a good fit for your targeted audience? You will not be successful at promoting products that your target market is not interested in. I am sure this is a no-brainer for most reading this Guide.
- Lastly, what is the amount of commission paid? I think this one speaks for itself. Make sure you know what kind of commissions you are working hard for. My recommendation is to not get involved with commissions less than 50% unless it is for high ticket items.
Using Product Recommendations to Increase Your Bottom Line
Product recommendation is one of the most effective ways to promote an Affiliate product.
If customers trust you, they will trust your recommendations.
Recommend products that you have confidence in. Those that you are recommending products to will sense the confidence you have in any given product.
Give a good product review.
Do not be afraid to mention things that you do not like about products during your review. You need to be careful to not make the product sound like it is really a bad product. If the product really does have many bad things that you will include in your review I would stay clear of it.
Also be careful if you are doing a review as in not recommending a product. Be careful not to tear a product a part in a way to diminish the credibility of the product owner. There are more effective ways to beat your competition than to try and tear them down.
I have said this many times and I will say t once again, “Only promote products that match your target audience and fulfill the needs and wants they have.” KNOW YOUR CUSTOMERS.
Promote products that position well in your product funnel. It must make sense to the customer before they purchase. You may need to go back and read creating and positioning your irresistible offer if you are not sure as to what I am talking about right now.
Getting Yourself Noticed on the Affiliate Marketing Radar
One of the greatest things you can accomplish as an Affiliate marketer is to get yourself and your efforts noticed by the marketers that you are promoting for.
This opens up all sorts of opportunities to you that you may have had a hard time with before such as finding JV partners to help promote and grow your own business.
Below are the top 4 ways I feel you can go about getting noticed on the Affiliate radar.
- Build your list. This is huge for you and your Affiliate growth in so many ways.
Not only does having a larger and more responsive list help you generate more sales as an Affiliate, but also once you have an established list that is working for you and growing you can leverage that list in getting others on your side to begin helping you. It does not remain a secret for very long who the marketers are with good responsive list.
- Establish yourself as a Super-Affiliate. Go the extra mile in your Affiliate efforts to become noticed. Work hard a learning all you can to become one of the top Affiliates in your field.
- Do not be afraid to put yourself out there to be seen. Make every effort to establish your presence in any way you can.
- Create your own in-demand product. Creating your own in demand products give you the credibility you need to rise to the top of your Affiliate efforts.
- Many people will get into Affiliate Marketing because they feel it keeps them away from having to create their own products.
I feel this is something that could not be further from the truth. If you are going to be recommending products it only stands to reason you have to have credibility and be seen as an expert in your Niche to gain the respect and trust from those you are recommending products to.
Creating your own products also gives you something to offer in return when the product owner of the Affiliate products you are promoting sees the great job you have been doing and asks you how he or she can help you.
Choose to not create your own products is nothing more than leaving piles of money on the table for other Affiliates and product owners to collect right out from under you.
- Develop relationships with other marketers. Again this is putting your-self out there to be seen. Make every effort to build strong relationships and let others see you are looking to do a good job and willing to learn.
- Show them you mean business and intend to stay for the long haul. It is hard to build relationships with someone only to have them drop off the planet after some time and not heard from again.
Affiliate Marketing the Monetization Equation
There is a certain order that has to be followed if you are truly going to be successful at being an Affiliate Marketer.
It is not just grabbing an affiliate link for any old affiliate product and expect to make a bunch of money.
Yes it is possible to make money with that method but that is not the method that the strong Affiliates use to make large quantities of cash.
It all starts with “YOU” providing a solution to a problem through Great Content…
Your content is found by those searching on the web for the solution to the problem you have found them having through your proper research. This is known as your traffic.
Once your traffic runs into you because of you being well positioned to meet them, you begin the Pre-sell process which is created through the relationship and more good solid content that you over-deliver to the visitor.
Then and only then, comes monetization.
Content… The Problem Solver
Online visitors look for Content. They are not looking for you! (At least they don’t know they are yet)
Visitors do not know you, and most do not even care about you. They are focused on solutions to their problems or needs first and foremost. You need to stand out above the crowd and be the one they find! If you don’t… you fail!
There are a couple of very important things you need to remember when it comes to the content you are providing.
- Positioning yourself correctly in front of your visitors over your competition.
- Differentiate yourself from your competition.
Do your very best to deliver great content first and foremost that helps solve your visitors problems., By doing so you will build Great Traffic, which gives you the opportunity to be Pre-sold. Then and only then, are you ready to Monetize.
You need to start from the very beginning not at the desired end result.
Do not be like so many people that first spend time and energy setting up a shopping cart and a merchant account or some other way of "collecting the money.
Turn knowledge into content. Then convert that content into income.
There is once again a flow process that you can set into place to help you achieve the desired outcome of turning your content into income.
A growing Affiliate Business must have Traffic in order to survive properly. If you do not have traffic to the content the monetization process will not occur.
Traffic is considered by many the lifeblood of any online or offline business.
An online business is no different than an offline business without traffic.
Of course you also need the right kind of traffic in order for monetization to happen properly as well.
With no website traffic, your website isn’t going to make you any money or generate any leads. Not surprisingly, most people don't know this. They wrongly believe in the "Build it and they will come" principle thinking they just have to build a website and traffic will automatically flock to it.
This is completely wrong. And for this reason, several websites end up being abandoned. Although some random visitors will come across your website, the fact remains that significant money-making traffic doesn’t just appear.
Start with one avenue first and master that avenue of traffic before moving on to new methods.
Many times new Affiliate marketers will get so caught up in trying to generate many avenues of traffic that they never really get good at any of them and their efforts remain stagnant.
As you will see in the diagram below you will need to infuse your online business with many different avenues of traffic.
Pre-selling for Affiliate Monetization
Pre-Selling is positioning your offer in the mind of the visitor so that it makes sense to buy!
The biggest thing you have to remember is that you are dealing with a complete stranger, and you are a complete stranger to your new visitor. They do not know you, like you, or trust you YET! Until the visitor meets you at your website they have no means of establishing a relationship with you yet.
Pre-selling is the time to build visitor confidence in you… (The trust factor)
How? By Over-delivering… Over-delivering is when you go beyond what your customer was promised or ever expected... your visitors will “LOVE” you.
(Unless you already have a big brand name like Amazon, Immediate "selling" on Web sites is ineffective.)
List build is very important to your overall marketing and it is especially important to your pre-selling efforts. Getting a person on your list gives you the upper hand and puts you in control and offers you more pre-selling opportunities.
A couple of these pre-selling opportunities you have available to you are
- Follow Up email series
- Webinars, Teleseminars, Broadcast messages
These methods are great to continue to deliver more content and value to further your preselling to those not sold at the website.
Monetization Process of Affiliate Marketing
Out of all the steps we have covered I would have to say that monetization is the easy part.
Everything you have put into place if done properly will lead to monetization. If you go through each of the last 3 steps and still are not seeing any kind of monetization, you need to go back and take a look at where you went wrong in the first 3 steps.
Your Affiliate product recommendations (if well-chosen and positioned) should provide an additional service and provide appreciated value for your visitors who will in turn reward you when they open their wallet and give back to you! (You have now monetized)
The affiliate model is an excellent revenue source. (It always makes sense to add Affiliate Marketing as a great source of income into your business. I recommend that you always diversify your income sources.)
A very important part of the monetization process for you to realize is that, monetization is where you now have some control. Up until this point the visitor was in complete control.
They could leave and you would never see or hear from them again and lose the opportunity to provide more value and make further sales.
Content Blog Affiliate Marketing
Creating niche sites and/or blogs can be a great option for affiliates who have more time and creativity than money.
If you are looking for some method of Affiliate Marketing that delivers instant results I have to say right up front this is not for you. Like article marketing, this technique can take time before you start seeing results, so it’s not something you should expect to show immediate returns.
It is however a great way to create sustainable long-term profits, and a great credibility builder with a minimum of money spent. Think consistency!
Like many other aspects of online marketing consistency is the key to Affiliate Marketing through a content blog.
Cost for creating your own self-hosted blog;
- Domain name and hosting, but these are typically pretty small. $20-$50 to get started.
- Small monthly for hosting. Generally under $20 a month.
Although I do not recommend the free option for your professional blog, there are many options to get your own site or blog that is hosted for free.
Drawbacks of a free blog are, you may be more limited on options like, the look and feel of the site, how many pages your site can have, your monetization may be limited if at all, and control of content, and a big Credibility destroyer!
Be very careful buying ready-made sites… these sites may have limited functions such as SEO!
Plan Well and Stick To the Plan
Plans for monetization of your content blog require you to plan well and stick to your plan.
The hardest work is at the start. The first sale is always the hardest and most costly to get!
Blogging gets easier once you have built momentum. Be Consistent!
Once you have momentum it is hard to change directions
Think about your current readership… Will they accept the change? If you have readers that are reading your blog for the way you are now, you have to take into consideration that fact that they might not like the new changes and jump ship.
Generally changing your mind means starting over and re-building from scratch. B changing directions mid-stream means a lot of lost time and pain!
The Important First Impression
New visitors arrive at your blog everyday as more content is developed and optimized. What is the visitors very important First Impression?
Right now they are nothing more than a visitor that is a potential customer. They are not familiarized with you or with the advertising, or content on your blog, and further more they do not care about you. (YET)
Let’s take a look at some things that will help you create a great first impression for your new blog visitor to keep them wanting to come back time and time again.
- Keep your site simple and clean, and easy to navigate!
- It’s not time for flashy banners and buy now buttons. It is all about building a relationship with people through your content and your brand. My favorite saying at this point is, “Just because you can does not mean you should!” Just take a moment to think about what I just said and I think it will sink in as to what I am talking about.
- Provide good relevant Niche specific, problem solving content. Remember that the purpose of content is to provide value to others. Do you provide genuine value, and is it the best you’re capable of providing?
Once you gain visitor trust & love in what you give them you can slowly begin to monetize them.
Takes time and dedication, and consistency, but if you create great content which people want to read then multiple revenue streams open up
- Never believe that your website visitor cares about you or your product!
Your visitor takes one look at your website and turns around and leaves…. Why? You designed your web site for your needs, not their needs. Here is something even worse to think about; after they leave they're going to one of your competitors' sites and buy something.
What visitors care about when they show up to your site is, does the content solve their problems?
A couple things to write down and place where you can see them as your building your website:
- The only reason my web site exists is to solve my customers' problems.
- What problems do the page and the content I'm creating solve?
- Make it clear to your visitors what your blog/site is about. Do not mislead them!
If you want better results stop the entire displaying of cleaver little tricks. You want your visitor to find exactly what they came searching for.
Don’t use little disposable content just to increase page views and ad impressions.
Your goal should be to truly help you visitor that shows up to your blog, and my personal opinion is that anything else is wasting their time as well as the time you spent adding it to your site.
I find that content rich articles that really give some meat to the visitor are better at generating links and referrals and building traffic.
Make first impressions count. You want the visitor to feel like the visit to your site was time well spent, and that the visitor leaves feeling they enjoyed some serious take-away from the content you provided.
Your Writing Style Matters
The style in which you write your blog posts can greatly affect the readership of your blog. Write as if you personally know each person who is reading your blog.
My suggestion is to always be working towards building a relationship with your readers so they feel they "know" you.
By taking this time for them to get to know you, and by you getting to know your readers, you will develop a loyal reader base for your blog.
Be careful… Think Credible Expert VS Friendships
Show that you care, and are interested in your readers. This will develop loyalty and even help your blog go viral . This not only brings you more readers it ultimately gives more Affiliate Link Click-through.
Look at your Blog Posts from the perspective of your readers. Read them!
Creating Your Blog Content
In this next section I am going to discuss 4 ways to generate great content that will help you in the monetization process of your blogging efforts.
- Write it yourself- Best method… after all you are the expert…Your
- personality is a good thing to be seen in your work. Drawback is that it
- is time consuming on your part.
- Outsourcing- You can get short blog posts done for about $2-10 at Articlez.com , ODesk.com, Warrior Forum, etc…
- Look for writers who have a strong portfolio. Ask for relevant writing samples similar to the type of article writing you need done. Read them… If you want your Blog posts to rank well, make sure they will be written for readers first and foremost..
- Always check the content to assure it is what you want and that it is good solid content. Don’t accept crap.
- Ask for articles not blog posts. Most will charge more if you say you need a blog post written.
- Pros & Cons To Outsourcing
- Advantages (Pros):
- You don't have to spend time doing the research
- The time you save in having someone else do your writing is time you can spend marketing
- The cost is minimal
- It's usually efficient and amazingly fast
- You usually can pay only after you approve the work.
- Disadvantages (Cons) :
- The writer might not agree to your terms (Keep looking)
- The writer may take longer than they or you anticipated
- The writer may not write English fluently,
- You may end up with an amateur instead of professional writer.
- The writer may not be as experienced in SEO as you need
- The writer may be excellent at SEO, but not be very good at writing
- for human beings
- Guest Blogging
Trade posting blog content with another blogger is called "guest blogging.”
One thing to always remember is that, the better your blog, the better guest opportunities you will have!
- Look for Blogs that do not directly compete with each other for readers, when you do you can become an added service to each other and to our respective readers.
- Your blog may pretty much be on work at home opportunities and making money online so you could find another Blog that has to do with something similar or with a target audience that would like to hear about home money making opportunities like a Blog that deals with Stay at home parents.
- You swap "guest" posts… You write content on that Blog with a byline and link (back-link) back to my own Blog
- The owner of the Stay at home parents blog writes content on your Blog with a byline and link (back-link) back to their own Blog
- You now have access to the loyal readers of another blog and they will have access to your blog..
- Private Label Rights Content (PLR)
- Using Private Label rights products or PLR is one of my all-time favorite ways to generating and finding content for my content blogs.
- Benefits of PLR
- Time Saver – Who wouldn’t want more time in their day? Writing, even though very worth it, can take a ton of time. That time could be better spent elsewhere.
- Inexpensive – PLR is easier on the wallet. Who doesn’t like that! J
- Flexibility – Rewrite it, add your own spin and personality
- Profitable – Turn into Blog Posts with your Affiliate Links
- Focus on PLR reports and Ebooks in particular.
- Unlike PLR articles, private label rights reports make repurposing your content even easier. Get the most bang for your buck
Affiliate Links in your Blog Posts
One of the most effective monetization methods is to add strategically placed and relevant affiliate links to your sites.
One of the most effective affiliate links can be found within the text of your blog post.
You may be thinking that nobody wants to show up to your blog and be pitched at the whole time they are reading your blog. That is some pretty smart thinking on your part. Your job in writing is not to pitch, it is to presell and lead them to the call to action point of your post. With the increased use of blogs you will find that blog readers are used to seeing links in blog posts.
As long as the link has relevance for being there, leads to a relevant benefit for the reader, and offers a solution to their problem or need, you will not offend anyone and you will find yourself with a higher click through… a click through will often lead to a sale.
What I just said is something that is very important. Pre-sell the click through on your Affiliate Link through your content. As someone reads your content they need to feel they are getting some real value and help. Do not pitch a product. Your job is to pre-sell the product, and get them to take action by clicking on your affiliate link that you have strategically placed throughout your post.
Here are a couple things to remember while writing your content for your post;
- Show empathy (understanding and entering into another's feelings) with your reader’s situation or problem.
- Offer an Affiliate product or service that will provide them with a suitable solution to their problem.
Don’t underestimate the power of affiliate links when your recommendation reaches thousands daily.
Monetization through Blog Reviews
If you have a list of subscribers you will find that sometimes email content is just not enough to pre-sell your product recommendation. Sometimes it takes just a little more of a push and a great way to do so is to direct your visitors to a Blog Reviews Site where you will be able to provide a little more meat to your recommendation.
People may not be tolerant of a long drawn out email where they will expect to see a little more content being delivered through your post on your blog.
There are a few really cool benefits of using the blog review method.
- With a blog review you can provide product pictures, embed a video review, and generally offer more content to pre-sell the offers.
- Blog reviews allow you to pick up traffic from the search engines if you use the title of the product in the title of the post.
- You can connect with your list from a blog review. Send them to your blog to read your review. This starts training your readers t take action instead of just reading your emails.
Don’t be afraid to state the obvious when writing you’re review. Don’t underestimate how little your reader may actually know about the subject or product you are reviewing. There’s no need to give a full life story, but a bit of background info is always good.
Be specific- Example: Live event review… Explain the atmosphere of the event, the attendee’s reaction to certain speakers, How the hosts preformed, the value of the content taught, certain points that really stood out in the speakers content, etc.
Your unique selling proposition.
Many a marketer is trying to pick up some extra cash by getting on the blog review wagon and many fail and never make a dime. One of the reasons many fail to ever succeed with a blog review is because they are offering nothing different than anyone else. Think about having a “unique selling point” something that your review can offer that people won’t be able to find elsewhere.
- Do you manage to bring a humorous slant to it?
- Do you have a specific or rare expertise about the subject
- Is your opinion vastly different to that of everyone else?
- Have you managed to be the first one to review something?
Use your own individual uniqueness that you have to your advantage. Your focus is not only on the product you are reviewing, it is also on your uniqueness and why someone should listen to you over top of everyone else around.
Don’t just write about yourself.
Be careful when talking about your uniqueness. Once you have them hooked in get off of yourself being the topic at hand. In other words make sure that you don’t write about yourself. Reviewers want to know about the product, and that should be what you concentrate on.
When writing your blog review the number one question running through your mind should be, “what does the reader want to know?” This is the most important thing to remember when writing a review.
You can craft the wittiest review with the cleverest metaphors, but unless the reader finds out what they want to know, you’ve not done your job as a reviewer.
Do your best to think of the sort of questions your readership is likely to be asking themselves about the product or service you are reviewing.
Generally I find that the questions I have running through my mind, are not too far off from what my readers want to know as well.
If you write a Blog reviews, according to the FTC rules and regulations, you have to disclose if you are being compensated by a manufacturer, advertiser, or service provider when you review an item.
- Example: If a blogger gets a laptop from a manufacturer to review and gets to keep it, he or she will have to make that fact public.
- If you got a product for free you must disclose this information.
- Anyone who is directly compensated to write about a product by an advertiser is covered by the new FTC rules.
Before I leave the topic of blog reviews, I would like to recommend that you really consider doing video reviews of the products you are reviewing and add them to your review site.
Video plain and simply converts.
Creating a Simple Video Package
Another great way to monetize your website is by creating a very simple video package and then using it to drive traffic to your squeeze page and give it away.
These videos are very simple to create and can be done using very simple tools and equipment such as a digital camera with video capabilities or a Flip Video that you can pick up for right around $100-$130.
This process involves finding 10-20 questions that people are asking in a profitable Niche of your choice.
There are many ways to find these questions if you can’t come up with them on your own. Below are a few suggestions.
- Check into forums within the Niche and find out what questions people are asking.
- If you are not finding question being asked all you need to do is create a post and ask people to post the top questions they have on the topic you are working with.
- Check out social sites such as Twitter and Facebook.
- Again same thing applies as with the forum. If you do not see any one asking questions, ask them.
- Check Yahoo answers.
- Do a search on Google for the top 10 questions asked on your topic or the top 10 tips on your subject if you are doing a top tips series.
- If you have a list, do a survey and ask.
- Write a post on your blog asking for people to leave you the questions they have on your subject.
- Attend live offline events as this is a great place to get face to face video time.
- Attend other marketer’s live Q&A calls and write down the questions people are asking. This is also a great time to write down the answer if you yourself do not know.
- Watch your email. Many times marketers will send out emails after doing live calls letting you know what the top questions were asked by the attendees.
- Draw from your own experience and the questions you had when you first got started or that you have now.
Be creative the questions are out there being asked and they are quite easy to find.
Once you have your questions you are just going to shoot a 3-4 minute video on each question, and then supply the answer.
Here are the steps for you to follow:
- Choose a Profitable Niche that you are knowledgeable about or can research to find the information.
- Create 10-20 questions on the top questions people want to know about the Niche you have chosen. You may do the top 10 mistakes, or the top 10 problems, etc…
- Shoot short 3-4 minute videos giving the problem and the solution. 1 video for each of the 10-20 questions
- Example: Hi this is Your Name from Your Domain I am an expert Share What Makes You The Expert and I want to share with you the top 10 questions and answer that people want to know about Your Niche . Give Question #1 And Give The Answer To Question #1.
- End your video with something like the following example:
- I have created a series of these videos that will really help jump start your Affiliate Marketing Career. To receive the entire 10 video set series of solutions to the top 10 problems New Affiliate Marketers are continually plagued by just go to Your Squeeze Page Domain and I will send them right out to you.
- Load each of your videos individually up to YouTube with a call to action and link directing them back to your squeeze page. Make sure your videos are properly tagged using the proper keywords being used to search for your topic you just created the videos for. You want to get these videos seen.
- Next send them to your Squeeze page (or Blog) to opt-in for the other 9 videos in the series.
- Choose a good relevant Affiliate Product to send your new subscriber to after they opt in to your squeeze page. Once they opt in you will direct them to the sales page of the Affiliate offer you have chosen,
- Choose a product with a good converting sales page and one that is directly related to the Niche you have chosen and that will make sense in the mind of the subscriber.
Below is the flow process of how this monetization process will take place.
Step 1- Visitor finds your video on YouTube
Step 2-Visitor is taken to your squeeze page to receive the entire video package you have created.
Step 3-Visitor is taken to a thank you page thanking for opting in for the free gift and directing them to go to their email inbox and confirm that they do indeed want the free gift.
Step 4-Visitor confirms by clicking on the link in the email and is immediately taken to a sales page for the Affiliate product you have chosen that is relevant to the topic you created the videos on. This offer will add more help on the subject.
Step 5-After purchasing the affiliate product the now buyer is taken to the One Time Offer page of the Affiliate product for a chance of you making more commissions.
There is another way you can approach the monetization process that may seem less painful for the visitor to grab the Affiliate product you have chosen.
Step 1- Visitor finds your video on YouTube
Step 2-Visitor is taken to your squeeze page to receive the entire video package you have created.
Step 3-Visitor is taken to a thank you page thanking for opting in for the free gift and directing them to go to their email inbox and confirm that they do indeed want the free gift.
Step 4-Visitor is taken to the product download page where they will find an un-advertised bonus waiting for them. This bonus can be another free gift for them to sign up to that will lead them through your affiliate link to sign up for the free gift and right into the Product owner of the Affiliate product you have chosen.
Using Bonus offers to enhance Affiliate Product Recommendations
One of the best ways to enhance any Affiliate product recommendation is to add special bonus offers to the package.
Actually what we are going to be talking about is adding bonus offers that make it easy for the visitor to say yes because they will see more value in the bonus than the Affiliate product you are offering them.
Something you need to keep in mind from the very beginning is that the bonus offer, Must Make Sense in the Mind of the Person reading The Offer. You must always remember this.
Many times you will see bonus offers that really make no sense as to why someone would add them to a product recommendation due to the fact they have no relevance.
There are many benefits of adding bonus offers to your recommendations in the way we are going to be discussing.
- Higher Conversion
- Gives You More Credibility
- Better Relationships
- More Money
- You Create A Product
Let me lay out the step by step format of using a bonus offer that seems to really outshine the product you are recommending, and that will help you cash in on your Affiliate promotions.
- Choose low end ($17-$67) range Affiliate Product. Work towards replacing this with your own product. You can find these products in several places. Listed below are just 3 of the many places for you to look.
- Create Ultimate No Brainer Bonus Offer
- My suggestion is an online workshop; Find Private Label Rights product in the Niche that you have chosen, and that will make sense to become a bonus, or create it from the content of the Affiliate product you are promoting
- Create a 2-4 module Online training Course that will walk the customer that buys your Affiliate product by the hand through the step by step process of learning the Niche Topic you are an Affiliate for.
- Note: Bonus Offer does not need to be completely ready. It becomes a product that you are going to create as you go. You will deliver this workshop live through inviting those that by the Affiliate product to show up to your live workshop trainings.
- Of course it is possible to have this already recorded so that you can deliver the workshop through the use of video recordings.
- Write an email and a blog post that are very similar in content. The email you will be sending out on day one of the promotion. The blog post is going to be where you will be sending them on day two of the promotion.
- One option to consider is the use of video on the blog instead written content for higher conversions.
- Begin the marketing process by sending out the very first email. You will notice in the diagrams I have provide I show you exactly what should be included in your email that you will be sending out. This same content will be place on your blog either through written content or video.
Once the visitor reads your email or your blog and clicks on your affiliate link to purchase the Affiliate product, it is now time to deliver your promised bonus.
As directed in your email, the customer will fill out a support ticket letting you know they have purchased by showing you’re their purchase receipt that they will receive from the product owner of the Affiliate product you are promoting
Once you receive the support ticket you will send back copy and paste instructions directing them to click on the enclosed link that will give them all of the directions they need to sign up for the live workshop bonus, and when it will be starting.
The link they click on will lead them to a squeeze page to sign up for the workshop placing them on a list to help you communicate with the new buyers.
Remember you do not need to start the workshop the next day. You have some time. I would try to start the workshop within a 7-10 day period to keep everyone excited about attending.
Once the customer signs up for the workshop they will begin the double opt in process of confirming they indeed want to receive this information from you.
Of course you know by now that this is another chance to monetize this process.
Once they opt in they can be taken to a one time offer giving them a great opportunity to not only attend the workshop, but to also own the workshop as their very own high end training course after the workshop is completed.
You may want to keep the training course in the family and just offer resell rights to the product offering your customers the opportunity to sell the product for you instead of claiming it as their own.
Either way you have a great one time offer to monetize your efforts even further at a higher price point than the original product you promoted.
The whole time the customer is checking out your One Time Offer something magical begins to happen right under their nose that will begin a great relationship.
It is called the follow up email series.
Once they double opt in to your list your very first follow up email will be sent out thanking them for their purchase and also directing them to check out the Affiliate product they just purchased from you.
Remember your workshop is being developed around the Affiliate product you promoted to them. You are going to be teaching them the system presented in the product in more depth than the product itself.
You want your customer to start going through the product so they can familiarize themselves with the methods taught.
In this same follow up message you are giving the customer assurance that you will be getting with them in the next few days with more information about your live workshop you are creating.
The next step in the process is to hold the live workshop training.
My suggestion is to use Go to webinar service for getting your students on the call in order to be able to see you screen.
I would also use Camtasia to capture the recording of your workshop.
Remember this is becoming a product that you are putting together for yourself and possibly for an OTO you just sold to your customers by offering them resell or private label rights to the training.
Make sure you record.
After each session of your workshop you have a prime opportunity to go after those that have not purchased your One Time Offer to the package.
The reason this is such a great time to present your offer is because those attending now see the quality of your training and what the quality of the product will be that they will own or be selling.
They will know exactly what they are going to get.
After your Training you still have more opportunities to monetize this amazing process. Remember the magic that began when your first follow up message went out.
If you have done your job properly you still have more follow up messages ready to go out that will continue to build your relationship with your new customers and also promote related affiliate products you want to recommend. You can take them right back through the whole process once again.
Complete System Completely Automated
This is a great system but it does require some efforts and some work on your part. But imagine this system completely automated once you have done the initial work.
You know have a monetization system that will continue to bring you in income day after day and month after month.
Every Time someone shows up to your website and they subscribe to your list they are delivered this entire process beginning with your Autoresponder Follow Up series!
Once the process is complete it fires off the next product offer and repeats the same process.
Once the second process is complete, it fires off the next product offer and repeats the process again.
You set it all up by simply copy and paste method… you just need to change the wording for the next product offer.
Rinse and Repeat… You just drive traffic to your website.
Affiliate Marketing Summary
- Successful affiliates in any affiliate program simply don't sit there and wait for money to come.
- Why? There isn’t any money in simply sitting around and waiting.
- If you want to be successful in affiliate marketing and if you want to continually grow your affiliate checks, you've got to do something.
- Most of all have fun being an Affiliate Marketer. It's one of the best “business models" in the world.